Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Trouble Tree

THE TROUBLE TREE

: > How easy it is to carry home our troubles from work, and how
: > devastating it can be to our families. The following story
: > reflects the wisdom of one man who chose to leave his worries
: > and frustrations behind.
: >
: > The carpenter I hired to help me restore an old farmhouse had
: > just finished a rough first day on the job. A flat tire made him
: > lose an hour of work, his electric saw quit, and now his ancient
: > pickup truck refused to start.
: >
: > While I drove him home, he sat in stoney silence. On arriving,
: > he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the
: > front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips
: > of the branches with both hands.
: >
: > After opening the door, he underwent an amazing transformation.
: > His tanned face was wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two
: > small children and gave his wife a kiss.
: >
: > Afterward, he walked me to my car. We passed the tree, and my
: > curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had
: > seen him do earlier.
: >
: > "Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied. "I know I can't help
: > having troubles on the job, but one thing is for sure, troubles
: > don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So I
: > just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home. Then
: > in the morning, I pick them up again."
: >
: > "Funny thing is," he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to
: > pick them up, there aren't nearly as many as I remember hanging
: > up the night before."

No comments: